The question so poignantly proposed by Davey Jones. For quite a long time I have been able to say in all honesty that I have no fear of death. I have lived a good life so far, and if the end should come, I feel that it has been enough. If the good lord takes me tonight, I have had a good family, the closest friends, I have been in love, I have known sorrow and pain as well as ecstasy and contentment. I have loved the Lord and hopefully I have left a mark on the hearts of those I love.
But lately. . .
I have begun to fear.
There is so much to life that I have not yet experienced. It didn't use to bother me, but these days, the thought of dying soon terrifies me. I desperately want to know what it feels like to graduate, to be married, to have children, to be a father (I think I'd be a good father), I want to see my parents become grandparents, I want my children to become friends with my friends children, I want to have my own family, I want to have my own boat. I want to grow old with those I love.
I want to lose somebody close to me. Just to feel the intensity of the pain. I want to fall in love and be cheated on, so that I don't have to experience it in my marriage. I want to get married and stick with it no matter how happy I am. But by the same token, I want to get a divorce so that I can understand my parents more fully, so that I can relate.
I want things that most people don't.
When I tell people I want such things, I usually get such crazy looks, but I just want the human experience and all that comes with it, the highs and the lows, the agony and the ecstasy. I want to feel it all and live to the fullest. I'm envious that God was able to experience his own death and then contemplate it afterwards. I wish that I could know that It's like to die and still live with that knowledge.
Whatever
-Jon
No comments:
Post a Comment